RUDOLFINUM

Alšovo nábřeží 12

110 00 Praha 1 - Staré Město

The Rudolfinum is one of the most important Neo-Renaissance edifices in the Czech Republic. In its conception as a multi-purpose cultural centre it was quite unique in Europe at the time of its construction. Based on a joint design by two outstanding Czech architects, Josef Zítek and Josef Schultz, a magnificent building was erected serving for concerts, as a gallery, and as a museum. The grand opening on 7 February 1885 was attended by Crown Prince Rudolph of Austria, in whose honour the structure was named. In 1896 the very first concert of the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra took place in the Rudolfinum's main concert hall, under the baton of the composer Antonín Dvořák whose name was later bestowed on the hall.

LIECHTENSTEIN PALACE - MARTINŮ HALL

Malostranské náměstí 13

118 00 Praha 1 – Malá Strana

The Bohuslav Martinů Concert Hall is part of the historic Liechtenstein Palace, which is located directly opposite St Nicholas’s Church at the upper end of Malostranské náměstí (Lesser Town Square). With capacity for an audience of 200, it is used primarily for more intimate cultural events and for graduation recitals. Since 1993, the Liechtenstein Palace has been the site of the Music and Dance Faculty of the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague.

CZECH RADIO, STUDIO S1

Vinohradská 12

120 00 Praha 2 - Vinohrady

Studio S1 is the largest Czech Radio studio in Prague. It went into operation on 11 June 1935 with a gala concert. It is the home studio of the Prague Radio Symphony Orchestra, and it is intended for recording classical music (especially for orchestras and chamber music ensembles). Besides the making of recordings, it is also a venue for live broadcasts, recordings of smaller ensembles with a live audience, and a wide variety of events. From 2009 to 2013 the studio underwent overall renovations and modernisation. The studio’s interior walls are built on a concrete slab foundation that floats on special rubber cushioning (Sylomer®) that dampens vibrations and low-frequency noise from railway tunnels and the building’s surroundings. The result is an acoustically unique space with a cubist appearance. The studio’s overall conception, design, and execution are unique and bear comparison with the most important concert and recording venues in Europe.

THE CHURCH OF STS SIMON AND JUDE

Dušni

110 00 Praha 1 - Staré Město

At the present location of the Church of StS Simon and Jude and of the Nemocnice Na Františku (St Francis Hospital), Bohuslav of Olbramovice established an infirmary before 1354, an essential part of which was the Chapel of St Simon and St Jude, preachers of the Gospel in Mesopotamia and Syria, which was consecrated by Arnošt of Pardubice (Ernst von Pardubitz), the Archbishop of Prague, who worked closely with Emperor Charles IV. The chapel was gradually renovated and expanded, and the changes made to it by non-Catholic churches shortly before 1620 were so grandiose and pioneering that the site had the ambition of becoming a serious ideological and architectural competitor with the St Vitus Cathedral. Thereafter, further renovations and additions continued for a long time, the interior was lavishly decorated, an altar was built, sculptures were installed, and the crowning glory was an altar painting in the presbytery completed in 1773 by Josef Hager. Between 1989 and 1993, the City of Prague supported extensive renovations converting the church into a concert hall, and the building was handed over to the administration of the Prague Symphony Orchestra. In 2020 the City of Prague bought the building, and in 2021 it was entrusted to the Prague Symphony Orchestra, which uses the venue as a hall for its subscription chamber music concerts.

The original church was part of the Na Františku Hospital and Monastery of the Brothers of Mercy. In the 18th century it was renovated in the High Baroque style, and an organ was installed there, which was later by such masters as W. A. Mozart and Joseph Haydn. That organ is still in use today.

 

Source: website of the Prague Symphony Orchestra.

BETHLEHEM CHAPEL

Betlémské náměstí 4

110 00 Praha 1 – Staré Město

The Bethlehem Chapel was established in 1391 for preaching in the Czech language. The chapel’s founding was an important act, as can be seen from the participation of Jan of Jenštejn (Johann von Genzenstein), the Archbishop of Prague, and from the interest of King Wenceslas IV. The chapel’s popularity saw a considerable revival from 1402 to 1413, when Jan Hus (John Huss) was preaching there. In 1786 the building was largely demolished, but a replica in its original form was built in the 1950s with the use of preserved fragments of masonry. The Bethlehem Chapel has been a national cultural monument since 1962, and its premises now serve as a ceremony hall for the Czech Technical University in Prague and as a venue for cultural and other events.

 

Source: Official Tourist Website for Prague.

BOŘISLAVKA CENTRUM

Evropská 866/65

Praha 6

This new dominant feature of Evropská třída (Europe Avenue) weds contemporary architecture with art. The architectural design is by the acclaimed Prague studio AULÍK FIŠER ARCHITECTS. With its many sections, the building enables deluxe public access to private premises with an area of 12,200 m2, and it constitutes a number attractive public areas. Together with the shopping centre, these areas make a natural gathering place for the 100,000 residents of the city district it serves.

Source: website of the Bořislavka Business Centre.

ANEŽSKÝ KLÁŠTER 

U Milosrdných 17

110 00 Praha 1 - Staré Město

The Convent of St. Agnes in the 'Na Františku' neighbourhood of Prague's Old Town is considered the first Gothic structure not only in Prague but in all of Bohemia. It was founded by King Wenceslas I in 1233–34 at the instigation of his sister, the Přemyslid princess Agnes of Bohemia, for the Order of Saint Clare which Agnes introduced into Bohemia and of which she was the first abbess. The convent was preceded by a hospital. The 'Poor Clares' originated as an offshoot of the Order of St. Francis of Assisi, and the convent was at one time known as the Prague Assisi. Agnes was an outstanding figure in religious life of the thirteenth century. Besides this Clarist convent she also founded the only Czech religious order – the Hospital Order of the Knights of the Cross with the Red Star. She was canonized in 1989.